Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Chicken and Spinach Casserole

Hello! So it has been a while since I shared a recipe with you guys, so I thought I would document Tuesday night's dinner!

I mentioned this recipe on one of my High 5 for Friday posts, and I did share the pin I got the recipe from, but I always have my changes and I would like to share it with you.

This is the latest recipe to make it into my regular rotation. I try lots of different recipes (usually from good ole Pinterest, I use that place like a cook book) and even though they are usually pretty tasty, for whatever reason (be it the amount of time it takes, expensive ingredients, ingredients I don't generally buy) I don't make them more than once or twice. But this one made the cut. Simple to put together, no ingredients that I don't often pick up anyways, and spinach! I love spinach and everything it stands for! :P And this is a great way to get my daughter to eat the stuff (since it doesn't look like 'leaves')

This blog is where my original pin takes you for the recipe. If made exactly like this, it is amazing. The first time I made it I followed exactly (except for the pasta, I used penne) and it was delicious. But I always make my little changes.

You Need!

8 oz Penne (I think any shape pasta would do, except for 'noodley' ones like linguini)
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 cup Chopped Onions
3 cloves crushed garlic
1 package Frozen Spinach (thawed)
3 cups cubed chicken breasts (I just take two regular size breasts, I don't really measure in cups)
1 8oz container of Chive and Onion cream cheese
1 can of italian-style diced tomatoes (I like the 'herbs and garlic' kind for some flavour)
Pinches of Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 cup of shredded Mozzarella cheese (I don't often buy mozzarella cheese unless there is a good sale, so I have also used marble with this recipe and it works fiiine just fine)

Preheat oven to 375ยบ
1. Brown your chicken in a frying pan, and throw into your casserole dish.
2. In same pan add your olive oil and cook your onions until soft and becoming transparent. While you are doing this, cook your pasta in boiling water until al dente.
3. Add your garlic and cook with the onions for about 3 minutes, add to your chicken.
4. Stir in your cream cheese, tomatoes, spinach and salt and pepper to your dish.
5. Drain your pasta and stir in to ensure everything is incorporated.
6. Spread your cheese over top of your mixture.
7. Pop in your oven and cook about 30 minutes. Your cheese should be melted and turning golden. To brown your cheese further after the cook time, throw the broiler on for a couple of minutes (but keep an eye!)


Let sit for a few minutes and serve after drooling :)



It is one of those meals that you want to keep eating even though you are completely stuffed, just to keep tasting it. And OH EM GEE all of the spinach! :)


Hannah still fought me, but this guy liked it :P (Ignore the mess on his shirt, he hates wearing a bib and at some point it is just easier to stop fighting with him haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment